1055 Jordan Creek Parkway, Suite 200, West Des Moines, Iowa 50266

Car Insurance FAQs for Iowa Drivers

Accident attorneys provide solutions throughout the state

Dealing with insurance companies can be a lengthy and frustrating process. Whether you’re making a claim against another driver or on your own policy, you may have to deal with delay and disappointment. Having a knowledgeable insurance claim attorney on your side can certainly help. At The Hope Law Firm, PLC, our attorneys have decades of experience in litigation with insurers that require a bit of extra persuasion to settle fairly with claimants. We’re ready to assist you with your insurance claim needs.

Experienced attorneys have answers to your insurance questions

The Hope Law Firm, PLC offers this brief list of frequently asked questions for prospective clients.

Contact our West Des Moines law firm for your insurance claim disputes

After an auto accident, it can be difficult to deal with unmotivated claims adjustors. But a call to The Hope Law Firm, PLC can help move your claim along. To schedule your free evaluation, call 515.255.3559 or contact us online.

What is the statutory minimum of liability insurance that Iowa drivers are required to carry?

Under Iowa law, an auto insurance policy must have the following minimum coverage:

  • $25,000 for the injury or death of one person
  • $40,000 for the total of personal injuries or deaths
  • $15,000 for property damage

As you can see, these amounts are not sufficient to reimburse a seriously injured person involved in a car accident for medical expenses, lost earnings, and pain and suffering. It is also not enough to replace an expensive car. Responsible drivers who have the means should carry higher levels of insurance to cover liabilities and protect their personal assets in the event of a lawsuit.

Back to top

What happens if the person who hit me was driving without insurance or without enough coverage?

It’s always easier to get compensation when the at-fault driver is insured. Often, the fact that a driver is uninsured or underinsured indicates an inability to pay the premiums. If that is the case, the person may be unable to pay your claim. But, it’s possible the driver simply has a cash-flow problem due to unemployment, and there may be assets, such as a home, you could attach in a lawsuit. However, lack of income might have nothing to do with it: The driver might be uninsured because a poor driving record, possibly including DUI convictions, or a suspended or revoked license, has made it impossible to secure insurance at any price. If you carry uninsured motorist coverage, you can make a claim on your own policy. In theory, this should be easier, but it often puts drivers in conflict with their own insurers.

Back to top

What is bad faith, and how do I know if my insurance company is guilty of it?

When you purchase an insurance policy, your insurer promises to process your claims in good faith, meaning honestly and fairly. There is no definitive rule about what constitutes bad faith, but here are some strong indicators:

  • Failing to process your claim in a timely manner
  • Denying your claim without a reasonable basis
  • Making an unreasonably low settlement offer
  • Incomplete investigation or consideration of pertinent facts
  • Using intimidation to force you to settle for less than your claim is worth

If you have doubts about whether your insurer is dealing fairly with you, contact an attorney who’s well-versed in insurance claims disputes.

Back to top

Shouldn’t I give the insurance company a chance to make an offer before I call a lawyer?

Insurance companies answer to their shareholders, not claimants. That means they’ve got a strong interest in limiting your recovery so they can maintain profitability. Retaining an attorney early on sends a strong signal that you intend to receive the full measure of compensation to which you’re entitled.

Back to top


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form