1055 Jordan Creek Parkway, Suite 200, West Des Moines, Iowa 50266

Our Des Moines Lawyers Answer Slip and Fall FAQs

Educating our clients about premises liability rights

The Hope Law Firm, PLC in Des Moines features outstanding premises liability lawyers. We represent slip, trip and fall victims in West Des Moines and other communities throughout Iowa. Our team is ready to help you recover.

We can answer any other questions you may have about slip, trip and fall claims.

Get the answers you need

For more information about your potential premises injury case, Call The Hope Law Firm, PLC at 515.255.3559 or contact us online to schedule your free case evaluation.

What do I have to prove to win my fall claim?

You must show that the property owner owed you a duty and breached that duty. You must also prove that you were injured because of the breach and suffered damages as a direct result.

Back to top

Do I have to prove the business knew about the spilled liquid that caused me to slip?

Businesses have a duty to regularly inspect their property for damages, so you only have to prove that the company should have known about the unsafe condition. You do not have to show that the business actually knew about it.

Back to top

What evidence should I collect after a slip, trip or fall?

If possible, you should take pictures of the condition that caused your slip, trip or fall and collect the contact information of witnesses to the unsafe condition and the actual accident.

Back to top

What if the fall was partly my fault?

Iowa is a modified comparative fault state, which prevents recovery by plaintiffs who are proven to be 51 percent or more to blame for their injuries. You can, therefore, pursue recovery as long as you are not mostly at fault. However, the court will deduct from your judgment an amount equal to your percentage of fault. For example, if you are considered 10 percent at fault and your total damages equal $100,000, you are entitled to $90,000 in compensation.

Back to top

What types of damages am I entitled to recover for my fall claim?

The damages to which you are entitled depend on the facts of your case. We may pursue compensation for lost wages, diminished potential earnings, medical bills, anticipated future medical expenses, pain and suffering, and reduced quality of life.

Back to top

Can a child who was not invited to play on a neighbor’s playground equipment still recover damages for injuries?

Iowa laws recognize that children have less appreciation for the risks associated with certain conditions and actions. For this reason, property owners have a greater responsibility to protect kids from unsafe conditions, regardless of whether the children are trespassing or were invited to the property. This is especially true if the property contains an enticement, such as a playground, pool, trampoline or exotic pet.

Back to top

Is there a deadline for filing my claim?

Iowa imposes a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury claims. If you miss the deadline, you may lose your opportunity for recovery. You should pursue your claim as soon as practicable so your lawyers can investigate the accident and collect important evidence.

Back to top


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form